Reflection for Week 7 -
When I think about this past week three things come to mind – Plan ahead, trust in God, find balance in your life.
The Proverbs 31 woman was always thinking a step ahead to be sure that she is ready for the next season of life. She makes sure that her family is prepared as well!
Trials will come our way. In fact, the day we read that passage I had a work related “trial.” I don’t even work on Tuesdays and I had to take care of something that really made me anxious that day. I had to really focus and remember what I had learned that day. In the end I was able to get my anxiety under control.
Balance is important in life. Proverbs 31 talks about a lot of characteristics of this woman before she takes care of herself. Yet, she does pay attention to her own appearance and dresses with class. She knows the value of taking care of herself on the inside and outside. We can tell that while she takes care of her outward appearance she knows her true beauty comes from her character! Learning how to balance your family’s needs, other’s needs, and your own needs is difficult. Yet it is a good thing to trust that God will teach and instruct you in this.
Week
7:
Monday’s Read: Proverbs 31:21, Proverbs 27:23S--‐ Write out the scripture passage for the day.
When it snows, she has no fear for her household;
for all of them are clothed in scarlet.
Be
sure you know the condition of your flocks,
give careful attention to your herds;
O--‐Write down 1 or 2 observations from the passage.give careful attention to your herds;
This woman was prepared. There was no last minute rush to find clothes because the snow came. They already had what they needed! She knew the condition of their wardrobe and purchased what they needed ahead of time.
A--‐ Write down 1--‐2 applications from the passage.
I learned from our Proverbs 31 ebook that the word scarlet is significant. It means their clothes were of good quality. It’s fun to find a good deal but this woman found things that were made well. I imagine they didn’t have a lot but what they had was well made and did not ruin easily. I happen to like quality clothes but I also like finding the best deal possible. I have also learned that if I don’t love the outfit not to buy it. Why waste money on things I won’t wear later on because I find that I don’t like it! I have also found shopping ahead of time is the best way to go. Anticipate what you will need in the future. That gives you time to shop around for a good deal and not just buy the first thing you find. To sum up – shop early and shop wisely!
P--‐ Pray over what you learned from today’s passage.
Lord – Thank you that you want to meet our needs. You have blessed me with so much. Help me to be wise with my money and purchases. Help me to be prepared and not racing around last minute for things!
Tuesday’s Read: Psalms 36:1-2
S--‐ Write out the scripture passage for the day.God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea.
O--‐Write down 1 or 2 observations from the passage.
This Psalm makes the statement that bad things will happen – the earth will give way and the mountains will fall into the sea. It’s a statement. A fact. We will have trouble. But God will be our refuge and strength. He will help us when we are in trouble.
A--‐ Write down 1--‐2 applications from the passage.
I worry a lot. It’s one of those character flaws that constantly follows me. I have been working on addressing my fears and giving them over to God. This passage is clear. Because God is our help, refuge and strength we will not fear.
P--‐ Pray over what you learned from today’s passage.
Lord – You command me not to worry. You are worthy of my trust. Despite what happens around me you will stick by me! Help me to trust in that.
Wednesday’s Read: Proverbs 31:22,
S--‐ Write out the scripture passage for the day.She makes coverings for her bed;
she is clothed in fine linen and purple.
O--‐Write down 1 or 2 observations from the passage.
This woman takes care of everyone in her household but she also takes time to care for herself! About time =-) But she really tends to the needs of her family first. She is not selfish. Our ebook describes her as classy but not excessive. She cares about her appearance and wants to look nice but is not obsessed with it.
A--‐ Write down 1--‐2 applications from the passage.
How are we doing with getting our home in order? This women has her home in order and pays attention to the needs of her family. That is her first priority. Then she takes care of herself. Sometimes my priorities are out of order. It’s a hard balance but I want to learn to do this well.
P--‐ Pray over what you learned from today’s passage.
Lord – Thank you that the Proverbs 31 women recognizes the value of taking care of herself. Thank you for the example she sets of caring for others and her family before herself, yet she still finds the time she needs to be presentable. Help me to find that balance!
Thursday’s Read: I Peter 3:3-4
S--‐ Write out the scripture passage for the day.
Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as elaborate hairstyles and the wearing of gold jewelry or fine clothes. Rather, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God’s sight.
O--‐Write down 1 or 2 observations from the passage.
What you wear on the outside should not be what makes you beautiful. What makes you beautiful is a gentle spirit that is at peace with God. While taking care of your outward appearance is certainly necessary it should not be done to excess so that people don’t take notice of who you are as a person.
A--‐ Write down 1--‐2 applications from the passage.
It is important to find a balance. God doesn’t want us to be obsessed with our appearance and spend too much time attending to that instead of other important things in life. He also wants us to focus on letting our inner beauty shine. There is something about a woman who is takes care of her appearance but also exudes Christ’s love. That is what I want to be!
P--‐ Pray over what you learned from today’s passage.
Lord – Help me not to focus all my energy on what is external. Help me to spend time with you so that I may reflect your glory outwardly!
I love the verse about having a quiet and gentle spirit the brings unfailing beauty no matter your age! Can I daily nurture that quiet, gentle spirit by abiding and trusting Christ? Fear, fret and worry are never attractive!
ReplyDelete