Reflection:
This week was all about the tongue. That seems like a lot of time to spend on the tongue but I think it can be one of the biggest struggles for women. While our tongues are small compared to other parts of our body they have the ability to do the most good or bring about the most damage. I think watching the tongue may be something that is especially challenging for women. It’s easy to let our talk become gossip or to say something that is critical. On the other hand, I think we can be some great cheerleaders for the people in our lives. I would much rather be a cheerleader than bring someone down with my words. This is easier said than done. Pride and anger can easily get in the way!
So how do we do this? I’ve tried on my own strength many times and failed. After reading this week I think that there are two ways to successfully do this. The first way is prayer. Without God’s help this is impossible. The second way is to guard our hearts. If we are more selective about what we see and hear from the media, I believe that will help us to be more successful in watching what we say.
Monday Read: Proverbs 31:26, Proverbs 10:11, Proverbs 12:18
S--‐ Write out the scripture passage for the day.She speaks with wisdom, and faithful instruction is on her tongue
The
mouth of the righteous is a fountain of life, but the mouth of the wicked
conceals violence.
There
is one who speaks like the piercings of a sword,
But the tongue of the wise promotes health.
O--‐Write down 1 or 2 observations from the passage.The Proverbs 31 woman is good about watching what she says. A wise tongue is a fountain of life and promotes health.
A--‐ Write down 1--‐2 applications from the passage.
I can easily say things that are sarcastic and hurtful. I can get emotional and say things that I wouldn’t say otherwise. Watching my tongue is probably one of the hardest commands. It’s easy to let emotions get the best of you and let your tongue slip. I can fall into gossip quickly. I can be critical instead of uplifting. There is no way I can accomplish watching my tongue by just trying. It is something that I will have to commit to praying about daily.
P--‐ Pray over what you learned from today’s passage.
Lord – I give you today. Help me to watch my tongue and say things that are pleasing and uplifting to you rather than things that are critical, sarcastic, and hurtful.
Tuesday’s Read: Eph 4:29, I Tim
3:11, Proverbs 15:1
S--‐ Write out the scripture passage for the day.Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.
In the same way, the women[a] are to be worthy of respect, not malicious talkers but temperate and trustworthy in everything.
A
gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger.
O--‐Write down 1 or 2 observations from the passage.Watch what you say! Words have the power to cause a lot of good or trouble.
A--‐ Write down 1--‐2 applications from the passage.
I want to focus on staying encouraging things rather than words that are critical or angry. To be worthy of respect, I need to be temperate and trustworthy.
P--‐ Pray over what you learned from today’s passage.
Lord – I give you today. Help the things that come out of my mouth to be encouraging and not critical.
Wednesday’s Read: Luke 6:45, Prov. 4:23, Prov. 10:19
S--‐ Write out the scripture passage for the day. A good man brings good things out of the good stored up in his heart, and an evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in his heart. For the mouth speaks what the heart is full of.
Above
all else, guard your heart, for
everything you do flows from it.
Sin
is not ended by multiplying words, but
the prudent hold their tongues.
O--‐Write down 1 or 2 observations from the passage.What your mouth says is an overflow of your heart. Because of that we need to guard our hearts. Much sin comes from what we say. Holding your tongue is a wise thing to do!
A--‐ Write down 1--‐2 applications from the passage.
There are many times when I say mean things because I’m angry or frustrated. That really speaks to the condition of my heart. I would be wise to spend more time with God and less time with media. It’s important to guard my heart from the things of this world.
P--‐ Pray over what you learned from today’s passage.
Lord – Help me to be wise about what I allow into my heart. I want the condition of my heart to be rooted in you so the things I say and do are encouraging and uplifting. Please help me to guard my heart today!
Thursday’s Read: Prov. 10:31, Prov. 4:24,
S--‐ Write out the scripture passage for the day. From the mouth of the righteous comes the fruit of wisdom, but a perverse tongue will be silenced.
Keep
your mouth free of perversity; keep
corrupt talk far from your lips.
O--‐Write down 1 or 2 observations from the passage.Stay away from perverse talk and keep corruption away from the things you say.
A--‐ Write down 1--‐2 applications from the passage.
I want to be an example by what I say. It’s easy to say whatever comes to mind but it takes maturity to watch your mouth. I want to be an encourager rather than someone who tears people down.
P--‐ Pray over what you learned from today’s passage.
Lord – Help me to be an encourager today rather than to be critical. Sometimes I find that a stumbling block to this is my pride. Please help tear down that pride today.
I want to be that person who encourages and lift up rather than tears down! To become that person I need to abide with God everyday and pray so that my heart overflows with His grace and love. My emotions get control of me and I speak too quickly or harshly:(
ReplyDelete