Mission Statement

Connecting women in all stages of life in authentic experiences of friendship, service to others and spiritual growth in Christ.

Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Summer Study Week 6

Week 6 is Done!!!
Thanks for walking with me through this journey.  When I think of this past week I am reminided that we can find joy in the mundane and that we are called to bless others! 

If you think about it, please pray for my friend, Chelsey, and her family.  They lost their 1 4 month old son to a rare genetic disease this month.  I can't even imagine what that would be like.  Please pray for the family!  If you would like to know more about them she has written a wonderful blog - http://oursonnylife.com/.  Thanks for the prayers!

Monday Read: Proverbs 31:17
S-- Write out the scripture passage for the day.
In her hand she holds the distaff
and grasps the spindle with her fingers.

O--Write down 1 or 2 observations from the passage.
Here is a woman that has servants and she chooses to do the mundane.  She goes to great lengths to get food and to shop for her family.  She is up early and goes to bed after dark.  She even makes her own clothes. 
A-- Write down 1--2 applications from the passage.
I am so thankful that I don’t have to make my own clothes!  But I think the take away point is that she is willing to do tasks that are mundane.  Those mundane tasks are important to keeping the household going.  If someone didn’t do them you would never have clean pots or pans.  The laundry would be stacked up and the bathrooms would be disgusting.  It is a labor of love to keep your household from falling apart. 
P-- Pray over what you learned from today’s passage.
Lord – Help me to find joy in the mundane.  I pray that my attitude would be better when I take on tasks that I don’t like.  I know that you are pleased when I’m taking care of my family. 

Tuesday’s Read: Col. 3:23, Eph 6:7
S-- Write out the scripture passage for the day.
Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters

Serve wholeheartedly, as if you were serving the Lord, not people
O--Write down 1 or 2 observations from the passage.
They are trying to hit this point home!  We are to work with all our heart because we are serving the Lord. 
A-- Write down 1--2 applications from the passage.
Yesterday we talked about our mundane tasks.  We need to do these tasks wholeheartedly!  I was putting away clothes yesterday with my one year old.  Sometimes I bring out the spray bottle to spray down wrinkled clothes when I hang them.  I started spraying my daughter.  She just thought that was the best thing ever.  What was a task that I usually don’t like became a task that was fun and interactive with her.  I hope to find ways to make more mundane tasks joyful. 
P-- Pray over what you learned from today’s passage.
Lord – Help me to realize that everything I do for my family is also pleasing to you.  You want me to work at those things with all my heart. 

Wednesday’s Read: Prov. 31:20, Deut. 15:7-8, Prov. 11:5
S-- Write out the scripture passage for the day.
She opens her arms to the poor
and extends her hands to the needy.


If anyone is poor among your fellow Israelites in any of the towns of the land the Lord your God is giving you, do not be hardhearted or tightfisted toward them. 8 Rather, be openhanded and freely lend them whatever they need.

The righteousness of the blameless makes their paths straight,
but the wicked are brought down by their own wickedness.
O--Write down 1 or 2 observations from the passage.
She thinks beyond her own needs and her family’s needs.  She is very aware of the people who have needs around her.  God calls us to extend our hand to the needy!
A-- Write down 1--2 applications from the passage.
The ebook reading for today discusses what our hands look like.   Do we have hands that are worn from service to others and to our family?  I want my hands to be useful and to be a blessing to others. 
P-- Pray over what you learned from today’s passage.
Lord – Help me to be aware of the needs of others around me.  I want to take care of my family but you have called to me to meet the needs of others as well.  Show me how to prioritize and balance both. 

Thursday’s Read: Prov. 19:17
S-- Write out the scripture passage for the day.
Whoever is kind to the poor lends to the Lord,
and he will reward them for what they have done.

O--Write down 1 or 2 observations from the passage.
The Lord sees our acts of kindness and will reward us in some way for them.
A-- Write down 1--2 applications from the passage.
I think that this can be carried out in many ways.  It may be by giving money if you are able or putting your hands to work to do something more tangible.  There are so many ways to do this and I know God just wants to see that your heart is open to giving.
P-- Pray over what you learned from today’s passage.
Lord – Show me how I can serve others. 

Friday – Reflection
I was reading the “Good Morning Girls” blog that goes along with the Bible Study.  They were talking about how to be generous and bless the poor.   They encourage us to be generous with our time, treasures and talents. 

We can give our time by setting it aside for someone who is in need.  Make a meal for someone!  Invite people into your home.   This can be one area where I can be “stingy.”  If any of you know me you know how much I value my time.  I plan out my time the best as possible and I don’t like to deviate from the plan.  That’s such a challenge for me and I get cranky when I have to be flexible with my time.  I need to strive to be more Christ-like in this area. 

We can also give our treasures.  This may be money.  This may also be giving the things you have to the poor or people who need them.  I think this is something that is important to teach our kids.  We live in a society that is all about receiving all the latest “stuff.”  It is more challenging to give. 

Finally we can give of our talents.  Are you an encourager, a planner, an organizer, a good cook, a great decorator, etc… (I know there are many more talents you can give but I have only had one cup of coffee this morning and I’m still a little sleepy.)  Give your talents to others or volunteer at church.  Everyone has something to offer!

God calls us to be generous with everything!  Not just one area.  How can you give this next week?

1 comment:

  1. When it comes to the mundane, I am reminded of the saying, "a woman's work is never done!". ..particularly when children are involved. However, to know that you are not only serving your family but serving the Lord brings a sense of accomplishment. Imagine, the Lord is pleased when you wash clothes!!

    I wonder if there are messes to clean up in heaven?!

    ReplyDelete