Mission Statement

Connecting women in all stages of life in authentic experiences of friendship, service to others and spiritual growth in Christ.

Sunday, July 11, 2010

Get to Know You

Get to Know Debby Hardy:
I want to introduce you to Debbie Hardy! I asked Debby to share with us some of the steps of faith she is taking in her life. I'll let you all snoop in my interview with her. Be sure to check out our blog list! Debby's blog is now on the list!

Where Have You Come From and Where Are You Going?
Since the time Bryan was diagnosed with cancer, I have been sending e-mail updates to friends and family. Each message ends with a word of hope or encouragement found in scripture, books, television, movies, magazines, or wherever. Sharing with others continues to help me during the most difficult times of my life.

My blog is at http://SteppingThruLife.blogspot.com. For now, I’m posting the same messages that I send in my e-mail updates.

I have started a new career as a writer. My first book, tentatively titled Stepping Through Cancer: When Someone You Love is Diagnosed With Cancer, is being edited and should be published in a few months. It’s a manual for cancer caregivers, to help them with day-to-day issues.

When my cancer book’s website is up, I’ll be blogging there for cancer caregivers. In addition to having parts of my book available on the website, we’ll also have a Memories Wall for loved ones and a Victories Wall for cancer survivors.

I am writing two other books as well, one my personal story of our cancer journey and one called Life is a Sudoku Puzzle.

Describe Your Family:
I am a widow with four grown children and five and a half grandchildren (the sixth one is due in September).

When did you become a Christian?
As a young child in a large family with an abusive father, I longed for peace and hope that only Christ could give. When I heard the salvation story and the promise of everlasting life and joy with Him, it was music to my ears. God is the Father I never had.

How long have you been attending Arvada Covenant and are you involved in any ministries?
I met my husband Bryan in April 1995 when Christian Singles Network held a dinner with the singles group at Arvada Covenant, where he was attending. We were married that October by Pastor Wes Swanson. I’ve attended here ever since we met.

I’ve been a part of the music ministry as choir member, accompanist, worship team member, worship leader, actor, director, and Chair and Secretary of the Music, Worship and Drama Committee. I’m currently on the Worship Arts Commission and help out many ways in music ministry.

Bryan and I facilitated the Blended Families Support Group for eight years, where we all learned how to put up with our step kids. Although 60% of second and 80% of subsequent marriages end in divorce, our divorce rate was only 25%. I guess we were successful, but those failed marriages broke my heart.

I’ve also helped with Children’s Choir and Women Ministries, been a Sunday morning greeter, taught Adult Sunday School, worked the Welcome Desk, and volunteered for Royal Family Kids’ Camp.

I am now involved in the Seasoned Singles, a group of informally-organized older adult Christian singles who like to get together and have fun. Some of the singles are looking for a spouse, but not me. Although Bryan predicted I would remarry, I let him know he’s a tough act to follow.

Name one way God has given you your heart's desire.
I wanted a husband who would love me for myself, not for what I could do for him, and who would be the religious leader of our family. Bryan was that man. I learned that the “happily ever after” that we hear about in fairy tales is possible, but it takes work. We found our "happily ever after."

In the months since his death, I’ve decided that I could either be angry at God for taking Bryan or I could be thankful for the time that we were together. I chose thankfulness and the joy that comes with it. I was so fortunate to have that time with Bryan. Life is good!

What is your "job"... I know in this church there are many mothers as well as women who are involved in a career, church, community and volunteer work. Just tell me a little about what you do with your time whether it be kids, work, church, volunteering, pursuing hobbies/goals/dreams, etc... You all are very interesting and capable women and I would love to know what you "do"!
I just retired from Qwest after 37 years of working for “the phone company” (I started when I was 4 years old!). While working, I raised two children and earned two college degrees. My first husband was a Minister of Music, so I also helped to plan the music, sometimes directed the choir, performed, and played the piano and organ, all while holding down a job and going to college.

My sister went back to work after her children were grown and asked how I could get everything done in addition to working. I guess you just plan ahead and clean one room each evening so you don’t have to spend every Saturday cleaning the whole house!

What is your favorite flower?
Daisies are the most wonderful, make-you-smile, feel-good flowers, although receiving roses is special.

What view would you love from your kitchen window?
I have a great view! I get to watch sunsets over the mountains almost every evening. In the summer, the sun goes down behind Long’s Peak and it’s gorgeous.

What is your most treasured recipe?
Pecan pie bars. They are scrumptious and taste just like pecan pie. You don’t need to eat a whole slice of pie, just a bite or two.

What is the most ridiculous fashion trend you ever followed?
I wore paper dresses in the ‘60’s! They didn’t last very long, usually just one wearing, and you had to be careful not to move too fast or they’d rip. AND you had to be sure to wear a full slip underneath, just in case something tore and exposed what you didn’t want anybody to see!

What celebrity did you have a crush on as a girl?Paul McCartney. I was a true Beatles fan and could sing all of their songs. I even ironed my hair!

What would you save first if your house caught on fire?
Bryan’s original paintings, as many as I could carry. He spent six years painting cars and selling prints of them at car shows. I still have many originals at home, in addition to some amazing flower paintings that he did after a car accident in 2006 ended his car-painting career.

What was your favorite family vacation and why?
Bryan and I took a trip to Orlando a few years ago that God planned for us. Bryan had made reservations on Expedia.com for airfare, hotel, and a rental car, but a glitch blocked the transaction. When he called Expedia, they got us airline reservations, a larger rental car, and a private four-bedroom house with our own pool and Jacuzzi! It was the most wonderful, relaxing time.

Thanks for letting peek in on your life, Debbie! I look forward to seeing where God takes you on this journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment