Is this the first time you are reading about this? Click here for information about the our summer online study
Here are my thoughts about Week 4!
Week 4
Monday’s Read: Proverbs 31:15, Psalm 5:3, Mark 1:35
S--‐ Write out the scripture passage for the day.
She gets up while it is still night;
she provides food for her family
and portions for her female servants.
In
the morning, Lord, you hear my voice;
in the morning I lay my requests before you
and wait expectantly.
in the morning I lay my requests before you
and wait expectantly.
Very
early in the morning, while it was still dark, Jesus got up, left the house and
went off to a solitary place, where he prayed.
Rising early in the morning seems to be a theme in the Bible. The woman in Proverbs 31 is already busy working for her household before it is light out. In Psalms we see the authors talks to God the first thing in the morning and is waiting anxiously for answers! In Mark we see that Jesus who is the son of God gets up early to talk to his father. Okay okay… I get the message =-)
A--‐ Write down 1--‐2 applications from the passage.
Uggg… I always gloss over this whole rising early thing. Isn’t that for other people! You know, the ones like my daughter who just love the hour of 6:00 a.m. (and sometimes earlier)? Maybe I need to let go of the control I like to hold over my sleep and try to take this passage to heart. I’ll let you know if I make any progress.
P--‐ Pray over what you learned from today’s passage.
Lord – I’m not really a fan of waking up earlier. I really need my sleep and it’s hard to get to bed sooner. Please help me to start this new discipline. I know it could make a huge difference in my life and the life of my family. But I’m really going to need your strength!
Tuesday’s Read: Proverbs 31:16
S--‐ Write out the scripture passage for the day.She considers a field and buys it;
out of her earnings she plants a vineyard.
O--‐Write down 1 or 2 observations from the passage.
Now this I like. I love that she is a saver and a dreamer!
A--‐ Write down 1--‐2 applications from the passage.
This is right up my alley! I have several different savings accounts each with a purpose. I love to save up for things and projects. My next dream is to save enough money to finish a part of our basement. It will be something my husband and I will finish together. We will need more room in our house for our family as it grows.
P--‐ Pray over what you learned from today’s passage.
Lord – thank you that you delight in us and you have plans and dreams for us! I pray that you will guide us in our plans and dreams. Help us to be wise with our money so that we can accomplish them!
Wednesday Read: Proverbs 16:3, 21:5
S--‐ Write out the scripture passage for the day.Commit to the Lord whatever you do,
and he will establish your plans.
The
plans of the diligent lead to profit
as surely as haste leads to poverty.
O--‐Write down 1 or 2 observations from the passage.as surely as haste leads to poverty.
God wants us to commit our daily lives to Him so that He can go before us!
Hasty and
unplanned choices can lead to poverty.
But if you make careful, planned decisions and work persistently you
will profit. This makes me think about
the woman in Proverbs 31 who was very thoughtful and wise about her plan to buy
a vineyard.
A--‐ Write down 1--‐2 applications from the passage.
I need to spend more time committing my
plans to God. So often I forget him in
the equation.
P--‐ Pray over what you
learned from today’s passage.Lord – Help me to more diligently commit my plans to you. I tend to make my own plans and go for it without consulting you. I pray that I would make decisions in haste like that but carefully plan them out and bring them to you in prayer.
Thursday Read: James 4:13-15
S--‐ Write out the scripture passage for the day.Now listen, you who say, “Today or tomorrow we will go to this or that city, spend a year there, carry on business and make money.” 14 Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes. Instead, you ought to say, “If it is the Lord’s will, we will live and do this or that.”
O--‐Write down 1 or 2 observations from the passage.
Many of us will try to plan out our lives. But in the end we ultimately have no control over tomorrow circumstances. In the end, it is up to God.
A--‐ Write down 1--‐2 applications from the passage.
This is hard for me. I love to plan and often I don’t ask God’s will for my life. I need to work on consulting God more often in the big and small decisions.
P--‐ Pray over what you learned from today’s passage.
Lord – You know I am a planner. Sometimes I get ahead of myself and have things all planned before I involve you. Help me to remember everything on this earth is temporary. Being in your will is the best place to be.
Reflection:
This week we
learn that our new friend (the Proverbs 31 woman) is an early riser. She gets up early so she can get a jump on
the day so it goes more smoothly for her family. She does this so that she can make the most
of her day.
She is a
dreamer but also a very wise business woman.
She does not make rash decisions with her money. She considers her purchases before she buys
them and she invests wisely.
I have tried
waking up earlier this week! It was hard
but worthwhile. One of the days I
overslept and felt really rushed. I
prefer to start my day relaxed and will try to continue to wake up
earlier.
I want to
talk more to God about my daily plans and my life plans. This is an area of my life that needs more
work!
This week
I’m not quite as overwhelmed by the Proverbs 31 woman as I was last week. Maybe my attitude is changing!
I recently read about a woman who made it her goal to get up when the first number on the clock is a 6 and go to sleep while the first numbers on the clock are 10. Getting enough rest is important and requires discipline! I am learning that I need to move into a rhythm of life that mirrors Christ. My first thoughts in the morning should turn towards the Lord, lifting my prayers to Him. Then I am off to a good start and can get things going for the day!
ReplyDeleteMy second lesson of the week is to involve the Lord in ALL my planning! Life is but a mist and I want to spend it doing things that are eternally significant! I am praying that God would lay new dreams on my heart and help me to plan well to carry them out. Diligence and focus!
Thanks for sharing all of your notes - and your heart on this blog!