Mission Statement

Connecting women in all stages of life in authentic experiences of friendship, service to others and spiritual growth in Christ.

Saturday, May 19, 2012

Summer Study Week #1 (Post 2)

We're done with the first week of our study!  You can still join us if you are just now hearing about this!  Check out the instructions in this post - Summer Study Guide Instructions.

Please posts any insights you have in the comment section at the end of the post!

Thursday Read: Proverbs 31:7-9
S-- Write out the scripture passage for the day.
Let them drink and forget their poverty and remember their misery no more. Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves, for the rights of all who are destitute.  Speak up and judge fairly; defend the rights of the poor and needy.
O--Write down 1 or 2 observations from the passage.
I love this passage.  It gives us the charge to stand up for those who cannot.  We are to defend them.  I love that this mother is trying to instill this lesson in her son!  I love that Women Ministries has a heart for the abused and the people who are being trafficked.  This passage encourages me to continue to bring awareness to that fight no matter how uncomfortable it may be!

John Gill’s Exposition of the Bible commentary puts it this way - Thus as Lemuel's mother cautions him against women and wine, she advises him to do the duties of his office in administering impartial justice to all, and particularly in being the advocate and judge of the indigent and distressed.
A-- Write down 1--2 applications from the passage.
Don’t shy away from defending those who cannot defend themselves.  It may push me out of my comfort zone.  But I need to continue to look for ways to speak up. 
P-- Pray over what you learned from today’s passage.
Lord – help me to know how to defend the rights of the poor and needy.  Show me the steps you would like me to take and show me how to continue to lead the women of the church in these causes. 

Friday – Reflection
When I look back on Proverbs 31:1-9 I see a mom who wants to her son to remember what is important.  As a king, she doesn’t want him to be sidetracked by things that can cloud his judgment.  The wine and women that are presented to a king in those days were plentiful and she wants him to keep his eye on what’s important. 

I loved a quote from Francis Chan in our online study guide – “Our greatest fear should not be of failure, but at succeeding at things in life that don’t really matter at all.”

My hope and prayer is that I remember what is important in life.  I tend to get tied down with things that are not important.  I want to keep my eyes on Jesus!

No comments:

Post a Comment