Mission Statement

Connecting women in all stages of life in authentic experiences of friendship, service to others and spiritual growth in Christ.

Saturday, May 26, 2012

Summer Study Week #2

I love getting the comments on the blog from people!!!  Thanks so much for sharing.  I have changed the settings so that comments will appear right away instead of waiting for me to log in and approve them!  Keep the comments going! 

This week has been challenging in a new way.  I know that I really need to work on "heeding" instruction! 

It's not too late to join!  You can keep your own pace.  There will be no judgement passed here about how timely you are in completing the study!  If you would like instructions about joining click here.

Done with week two!!!


Week 2:
Monday Read: Proverbs 31:10; Proverbs 12:4
S-- Write out the scripture passage for the day.
A wife of noble character who can find?
She is worth far more than rubies.


A wife of noble character is her husband’s crown,
but a disgraceful wife is like decay in his bones.
O--Write down 1 or 2 observations from the passage.
I was reading a commentary (John Gills exposition of the Bible) and it tells me that each verse starts with a letter of the Hebrew alphabet and it goes in order through all the letters.  Pretty neat way to remember everything about a virtuous woman!  The woman described in this chapter is worth far more than rubies.  I feel that means her help, love, support, and handiwork is worth so much to him that he would never give her up for all the money in the world.  But a wife who is mean, nagging, lazy, and unsupportive is a liability. 
A-- Write down 1--2 applications from the passage.
Whether you are married or not, Proverbs 31 is a great and overwhelming instruction manual.  I think it is the “mark” for any woman.  I aspire to be the kind of woman that is worth her weight in gold because of her inner character. 
P-- Pray over what you learned from today’s passage.
Lord – Please help me to be open to the changes I need to make in my life.  I know that I do a lot of things right with your help.  But I also know there are areas where I am stubborn and feel entitled.  Help me to recognize those areas and be willing to change. 

Tuesday Read: Proverbs 18:22, Proverbs 19:14
S-- Write out the scripture passage for the day.
He who finds a wife finds a good thing,
And obtains favor from the Lord.


Houses and riches are an inheritance from fathers,
But a prudent wife is from the Lord.
O--Write down 1 or 2 observations from the passage.
A wife is looked at as a favor from the Lord.  This is not something you can inherit or earn but something that is given as a blessing from the Lord.
A-- Write down 1--2 applications from the passage.
It is God’s desire that I be a gift to my husband.  I want to find ways to do that in my everyday life. 
P-- Pray over what you learned from today’s passage.
Lord – I want to be a blessing to my husband.  Help me to find unique ways to do that!

Wednesday Read: Proverbs 31:11, 11:28, 28:26
S-- Write out the scripture passage for the day.
Her husband has full confidence in her
and lacks nothing of value.


Those who trust in their riches will fall,
but the righteous will thrive like a green leaf.

Those who trust in themselves are fools,
but those who walk in wisdom are kept safe.
O--Write down 1 or 2 observations from the passage.
It is easy for to think that life would be easier with more money.  But money doesn’t bring happiness or teach you how to thrive. 
A-- Write down 1--2 applications from the passage.
Being righteous and wise is what is going to help me to thrive and walk in safe pastures.  That also seems like characteristics a husband would like to see in his wife.  The kind of characteristics that would give a husband full confidence in his wife.  How can I be wise and be righteous?  How do you become wise and more righteous?  I think reflecting upon your decisions and being willing to learn from your mistakes as well as spending time with God would be a place to start. 
P-- Pray over what you learned from today’s passage.
Lord, help me to be teachable.  I want to be able to see my mistakes and learn from them.  I am not good at accepting my faults and being willing to change them.  But to grow in my relationship with you I need to graciously own up to my shortcomings and trust in you to change my heart. 

Thursday’s Read: Proverbs 16:20, 28:25, 29:25
S-- Write out the scripture passage for the day.
Whoever gives heed to instruction prospers,
and blessed is the one who trusts in the Lord.


The greedy stir up conflict,
but those who trust in the Lord will prosper.

Fear of man will prove to be a snare,
but whoever trusts in the Lord is kept safe.
O--Write down 1 or 2 observations from the passage.
Prospering can be hard work.  It’s easy to blow off constructive criticism.  It’s easy to be critical of others and stir conflict.  Often times trusting in the Lord can be difficult.  Heeding instruction (especially from certain people) can be hard.  But these passages show us that if we do those things we will be safe, prosperous, and blessed. 
A-- Write down 1--2 applications from the passage.
I don’t take constructive criticism well, especially from those I love.  It’s hard to admit there may be a better way of living my life.  Often I drift through life trying to do things on my own strength.  Relying on others or the Lord can be difficult for me.  I want to work on taking instruction from others and on trusting in the Lord. 
P-- Pray over what you learned from today’s passage.
Lord, help me to trust in you for every little thing in my life.  I know you are in control and that your way is best.  Help me to heed instruction from you and the other wise people in my life. 

Friday Reflection:

As I look back on this week I see that women have such valuable role in the family and in society.  I think Proverbs was ahead of its time.  It shows how valuable a strong and Godly woman can be!  But to be a strong and Godly women it takes being humble and willing to listen to instruction.  It takes trusting in the Lord.  It takes discipline to live a righteous life.   It can be hard to take instructions from others.  I don’t like to hear what I can change or do better.  I am very sensitive to criticism, even constructive criticism.  As I think back through this week, I want trusting in the Lord and giving heed to instruction to be the things I take away and work on. 

1 comment:

  1. Some random thoughts for the week: I love the words priceless and treasure. Wouldn't it be so cool to be described that way? Wouldn't it be cool to be used by God to be a blessing to someone? I looked up the word "prudent" and it means "showing care or thought". I want to live like that.
    O lord, thank you for all the instruction available to me in your Word, through other saints and my friends. Change me in the power of your Holy Spirit. Form Christ in me. Grant me the perseverance to get up when I fall. Thank you! Amen.

    ReplyDelete