One of my favorite quotes from the commentary this week was:
Our greatest fear should not be of failure, but at succeeding at things in life that don’t really matter at all. ~Francis Chan
How often do we get caught up with things that don't matter?? For me - several times a day. It may be excessive time on facebook, too much TV, gossip, etc...
I have loved being challenged to do something that does matter...studying God's word. Here's my thoughts so far. Would love to hear your thoughts. Post those by clicking the comment link at the bottom.
You can also subscribe to our blog by putting your email address in the upper left corner at the top of our blog!
Week
1:
Monday Read: Proverbs 31:1--‐2S--‐ Write out the scripture passage for the day.
The sayings of King Lemuel—an inspired utterance his mother taught him. Listen, my son! Listen, son of my womb! Listen, my son, the answer to my prayers!
O--‐Write down 1 or 2 observations from the passage.
I did not remember that this passage was about a mother speaking to her son! You can almost hear the passion in her voice as she gets ready to speak words of wisdom to him.
A--‐ Write down 1--‐2 applications from the passage.
It’s important to take a role in the lives of your child. I don’t think it needs to be just your child. Many women are not moms. But this is an example of a woman investing time to teach someone younger than she.
P--‐ Pray over what you learned from today’s passage.
Lord – I pray that you would help me to recognize who needs a word of encouragement today and that you would give me the words to say to them. As Viv (my daughter) grows up I pray that I will be able to teach and encourage her. I pray that you would give me wisdom as I embark on that journey in the future.
Tuesday Read: Proverbs 31:3--‐4
S--‐ Write out the scripture passage for the day.Do not spend your strength on women, your vigor on those who ruin kings. It is not for kings, Lemuel—it is not for kings to drink wine, not for rulers to crave beer,
O--‐Write down 1 or 2 observations from the passage.
I had to look at a Bible commentary to understand these verses a little more. This mother is telling her son that vices – women and alcohol – can cause destruction if he is not careful. They can ruin kings.
A--‐ Write down 1--‐2 applications from the passage.
We all have vices. Some are destructive at any level – like pornography. Other vices can be enjoyed in moderation for some people – alcohol, dessert, etc… The lesson here is to know what can ruin you and to be cautious.
P--‐ Pray over what you learned from today’s passage.
Lord – help me to recognize the vices in my life and to know when those vices become something that is above moderation or that is taking Your place in my life.
Wednesday Read: Proverbs 31:5-6
S--‐ Write out the scripture passage for the day.lest they drink and forget what has been decreed, and deprive all the oppressed of their rights. Let beer be for those who are perishing, wine for those who are in anguish!
O--‐Write down 1 or 2 observations from the passage.
I had to read a commentary again for insights into this passage. The kings were responsible for reading the law and knowing it. When they indulged in drunkenness they tend to forget what is important. This mom is also saying not to hoard the wine for yourself. Share it with those who are in need.
A--‐ Write down 1--‐2 applications from the passage.
It is important not to get distracted from what is important! One thing the commentary mentions for the website is that this mother was very intentional about her advice. She was taking the time with her son to lay it all out there! She knew what he needed to hear as a ruler.
P--‐ Pray over what you learned from today’s passage.
Lord – help me not to be distracted by the things of this world and let it cloud my judgment. Help me to take the intentional time with my daughter so that she will grow up knowing that I want to be invested in her life.
Kinsey - thanks for sharing your journey! I can't commit to doing the study this summer as we are traveling so much but I am gleaning a good word from your personal story. Especially the prayers you have for yourself and Viv. I have been in a sore spot with parenting lately and needed your words to guide me back to gentleness!
ReplyDeleteI found it interesting that the king was admonished to conduct himself with self control because of the heavy responsibility he bore as the leader. He was to avoid debauchery because he was called upon to pass judgment and lead others. As leaders, mothers, employees, etc. we also bear a heavy responsibility to practice self-control:)
ReplyDeleteThis hits close to home - there was a time in my life when too much alcohol clouded my judgement and my responsibilities to my children.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Kins. I've always sort of slid over this passage--"King Lemuel"?? Never heard of the guy.
ReplyDeleteBut as you point out, it isn't HIM, but the message and lesson the mother was faithfully teaching him. Which, of course, is a lesson for me.