If you are like me, the subject of human trafficking is not an appealing concept to dwell on or discuss. It is much easier to pretend the atrocity does not exist, especially in a suburban area like Arvada. It's easy to think of it as a problem that only occurs in other parts of the world ~ not here.
I think it's easy as a church to ignore this topic because the subject matter can be so controversial and uncomfortable. In order to truly discuss this topic it involves talking about pimps and exploitation of young women, men and even children, and all the language that surrounds it. Not exactly what you would deem "church talk." Sometimes it seems we are more willing to talk about the pretty parts of our faith; like redemption, grace, mercy and love but forget that there are very ugly things in our world that are the very reason we need redemption, grace, mercy and love. Sometimes it requires us to talk about the ugly in order to give hope through the pretty. It seems so foreign to us to think of having a relationship with someone in human trafficking when Jesus spent a lot of time with them; the woman at the well, Mary Magdalene, and others that were the exploiters of his day, like tax collectors. He didn’t just spend time with them, he developed a relationship with them.
So, when I came to the event I was not sure what to expect. Barb and her team had tried many different methods of publicity including public service announcements on radio and television stations, fire stations, and police stations. They were hoping that this would reach out to the community and make this event about our community and this topic is not just a ‘Christian’ thing to do but an issue among all of us in Arvada. We were hoping to be a very relevant church. I came in the front door of the church and all the displays were set up and a nice refreshment table awaited the attendees who wanted to visit after the event. So I got in my mode... i.e. make sure you helped welcome people and made them feel at home. Barb, the chief organizer of the event, and her team have all the details in place so I can just relax, welcome people, and take in the event. We had great displays for people to learn more about the topic.

I think it's easy as a church to ignore this topic because the subject matter can be so controversial and uncomfortable. In order to truly discuss this topic it involves talking about pimps and exploitation of young women, men and even children, and all the language that surrounds it. Not exactly what you would deem "church talk." Sometimes it seems we are more willing to talk about the pretty parts of our faith; like redemption, grace, mercy and love but forget that there are very ugly things in our world that are the very reason we need redemption, grace, mercy and love. Sometimes it requires us to talk about the ugly in order to give hope through the pretty. It seems so foreign to us to think of having a relationship with someone in human trafficking when Jesus spent a lot of time with them; the woman at the well, Mary Magdalene, and others that were the exploiters of his day, like tax collectors. He didn’t just spend time with them, he developed a relationship with them.
So, when I came to the event I was not sure what to expect. Barb and her team had tried many different methods of publicity including public service announcements on radio and television stations, fire stations, and police stations. They were hoping that this would reach out to the community and make this event about our community and this topic is not just a ‘Christian’ thing to do but an issue among all of us in Arvada. We were hoping to be a very relevant church. I came in the front door of the church and all the displays were set up and a nice refreshment table awaited the attendees who wanted to visit after the event. So I got in my mode... i.e. make sure you helped welcome people and made them feel at home. Barb, the chief organizer of the event, and her team have all the details in place so I can just relax, welcome people, and take in the event. We had great displays for people to learn more about the topic.
As I was walking around looking at the displays before the event started, I see a woman come into the church hesitantly. She seemed a little out of her element. So, I figure I better grab her and "rope" her in while I had the chance. I go to greet her and find out that she had taken a bus from Denver to get to this event. I found it amazing that she was that dedicated to hearing the message that she would find a bus route to this event. I introduced her to several people so she would feel at home. Debbie even offered to give her a ride home! Several more unfamiliar faces came through the door as well as several members from the church, including all our pastors; Pastor John, Pastor Nathan and Pastor Bill!
We welcomed Dr. Annjanette Alejano-Steele (or AJ as she likes to be called) as a guest speaker. AJ is a professor at Metro State College and she works extensively in several capacities to fight human trafficking. One way she brings awareness to this cause is through an organization she co-founded called Laboratory to Combat Human Trafficking (LCHT). AJ was a compelling and captivating speaker even though the subject matter was very difficult. She instructed us on the definition of human trafficking, local and national statistics, and how it relates to us here in Colorado. The most shocking information of the night was that there were no laws in Colorado regarding Human Trafficking until 2006!!! That is very recent.
Barb Introduces our Speaker:
AJ with her interns, Debra and Courtney
After the event, the woman that had come by bus told me that she had never felt so welcomed in a church and felt that "this is what church should look like." She was impressed that our church would promote awareness to this cause when so many people choose to pretend it doesn't exist.
Not only was I excited about the turnout and overwhelming response to this event, but I was touched by the heart of our friend from afar.
I was also moved by the information shared at this event. It is heart breaking to see children exploited in such evil ways. Our Women Ministries team is praying about ways that God may continue to use the women of our church to further show love and support to victims of human trafficking. What are your thoughts? If you came to “Break the Chains,” do you have any ideas or thoughts on what we should do? And, How do we do it?
~Kinsey~
Thoughts from Cheryl:
The easy part of the evening was donating money. It was safe. It kept me distant. I lead the women ministries so of course I will support this cause ~ Right!!
In my safe little world of Arvada I encountered TRUTH. The truth is that within 3 miles of our church is a truck stop, a big truck stop. With an ‘adult’ store across the street, and across the other street is a bar with a pole centered on a stage for nightly entertainment. This is a truck stop that most certainly has women and girls (to hit home - children); being pimped. Human trafficking is alive and well, and it shames me to know how long I have turned an eye away from those right next door, my neighbors. What struck me most was to realize what personal judgment I had passed on the women that I used to call Prostitutes and now realize they are Sex Slaves. Language is a powerful thing, I can give support, add comfort or condemn the very people I am called to love by labeling. And in labeling, I become a deliverer or a judge.
I don’t know what plan specifically God would have me do to love a wounded and hurting slave, and it scares me to death to think about that path. I do know I will not continue to judge but will embrace the poor, enslaved and needy women that I intersect. I also know that I will do what God puts in my hand to do, I will stare need and hurt in the face and I will attempt to be a deliverer.
~Cheryl~
We welcomed Dr. Annjanette Alejano-Steele (or AJ as she likes to be called) as a guest speaker. AJ is a professor at Metro State College and she works extensively in several capacities to fight human trafficking. One way she brings awareness to this cause is through an organization she co-founded called Laboratory to Combat Human Trafficking (LCHT). AJ was a compelling and captivating speaker even though the subject matter was very difficult. She instructed us on the definition of human trafficking, local and national statistics, and how it relates to us here in Colorado. The most shocking information of the night was that there were no laws in Colorado regarding Human Trafficking until 2006!!! That is very recent.
Barb Introduces our Speaker:
Dr. Annjanette Alejano-Steele:
Kinsey, Cheryl, Barb, AJ, Courtney and Debra
Barb and her team of volunteers did such a wonderful job at organizing this event. Our Women Ministries team was overwhelmed by the response to this event to raise awareness about such a difficult issue. Ninety-Five men and women were able to attend and several hundred dollars were raised for the Laboratory to Combat Human Trafficking (LCHT) and a New Day for Children (The focus of our National Women Ministries for 2010)! Look at the bottom left side of the blog for links to these organizations.
After the event, the woman that had come by bus told me that she had never felt so welcomed in a church and felt that "this is what church should look like." She was impressed that our church would promote awareness to this cause when so many people choose to pretend it doesn't exist.
Not only was I excited about the turnout and overwhelming response to this event, but I was touched by the heart of our friend from afar.
I was also moved by the information shared at this event. It is heart breaking to see children exploited in such evil ways. Our Women Ministries team is praying about ways that God may continue to use the women of our church to further show love and support to victims of human trafficking. What are your thoughts? If you came to “Break the Chains,” do you have any ideas or thoughts on what we should do? And, How do we do it?
~Kinsey~
Thoughts from Cheryl:
The easy part of the evening was donating money. It was safe. It kept me distant. I lead the women ministries so of course I will support this cause ~ Right!!
In my safe little world of Arvada I encountered TRUTH. The truth is that within 3 miles of our church is a truck stop, a big truck stop. With an ‘adult’ store across the street, and across the other street is a bar with a pole centered on a stage for nightly entertainment. This is a truck stop that most certainly has women and girls (to hit home - children); being pimped. Human trafficking is alive and well, and it shames me to know how long I have turned an eye away from those right next door, my neighbors. What struck me most was to realize what personal judgment I had passed on the women that I used to call Prostitutes and now realize they are Sex Slaves. Language is a powerful thing, I can give support, add comfort or condemn the very people I am called to love by labeling. And in labeling, I become a deliverer or a judge.
I don’t know what plan specifically God would have me do to love a wounded and hurting slave, and it scares me to death to think about that path. I do know I will not continue to judge but will embrace the poor, enslaved and needy women that I intersect. I also know that I will do what God puts in my hand to do, I will stare need and hurt in the face and I will attempt to be a deliverer.
~Cheryl~
No comments:
Post a Comment