I'm in a Bible Study on Monday mornings with a group of gals and we just finished studying redemption and restoration in the previous chapter of our book. We even just finished the chapter the Monday before the retreat. We had a story in the beginning of our last chapter that described a very similar situation to that of our skit. Coincidence??? Well, let's put it this way. Cheryl is not in my Bible study and I did not help with the skit. I think God has a sense of humor and impeccable timing!
Let's review parts of the skit! The two sisters in the skit were talking about life and this old, worn chair. This chair that had been in the family for years. I imagine the sister who was wanting to restore it (Jessica) chose that chair for a certain reason. Maybe the relative who originally owned the chair had special meaning to her, maybe she saw it and had the perfect place in her house to put it. But maybe she felt the chair, like herself, needed restoration and that process may help her in her own life. So Jessica chose to restore this old chair. She probably had an idea of what she wanted it to look like and where she would put it when it was restored. Her sister (Cheryl) suggested stripping away the paint to restore the natural wood. I imagine they would have to sand and stain the wood. They also probably had to put a coat of polyurethane to finish the chair and to protect it. I would also imagine them having to repair loose legs or spindles of the chair that had broke over time. In the end, it probably took a lot of time but I am sure this chair looked beautiful!
The book we're reading in our Bible Study had a profound quote that related to this. The book is called He is my Freedom by Debby Alsdorf. I highly recommend it. The quote says, "Just like me and my little chair - what once stated out as a broken chair in the heap of junk pile became a treasured possession of mine. Sure, it took a lot of work. But the work didn't make it mine, the purchase did. The work only proved how much I wanted that chair. The work showed I could see beauty underneath those ugly layers. The work showed I had a plan and a place for my little treasure and proved that I wanted it."
Wow...Isn't that a profound picture of what Christ has done for us. I can't help but think how this parallels our own lives. We too can be broken and worn from life just like the chair. We may also have added a few coats of paint over time to make ourselves look better on the outside. But the truth of the matter is that we all need restoration and redemption. One definition of restore says "to bring someone to an improved condition." What about redeem? It means "to regain, free, or rescue by paying a price or to convert to something of value."
What does the Bible say about these words?
Isa. 43:1: "Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name; you are mine."
It could say ~ Fear not, I have rescued you by paying a price and converting you into something of value. You are mine!
I Peter 5:10 : "And the God of all grace, who called you to his eternal glory in Christ, after you have suffered a little while, will himself restore you and make you strong, firm and steadfast"
It could say ~ God himself will bring you back to an improved condition making you strong, firm, and steadfast!
I hope the retreat was able to bring to light areas in your life where you may need a little restoration and redemption. I'm so thankful that we have a God who is in the business of finding the "little chairs" who need restoration, redemption, and healing and making them into his masterpiece. I hope you will picture that illustration as you allow God to restore and redeem you! I know I need it in my own life!
~Kinsey~
Hi Everyone, I've changed the "Post a Comment" settings so anyone can use Comment as: "Anonymous" to post. You just need to use the scroll down bar and selet anonymous. Please include your name at the end so we can see who comments!!
ReplyDeleteThanks,
Kinsey
Thanks for the great reminder of the lessons taught at retreat. What a perfect time of year to think about this. At Easter where it all started at the cross.
ReplyDelete