Mission Statement

Connecting women in all stages of life in authentic experiences of friendship, service to others and spiritual growth in Christ.

Monday, December 12, 2011

Advent Brunch

When I woke up on the Saturday of Advent Brunch, I saw that it was snowing.  Not just a little but several inches.  "Trust in the Lord with all your heart."  Okay, Lord.  I got dressed and my new cardigan I brought for the brunch had button holes that didn't line up.  Okay, Lord, I'm trying not to get flustered, it's just a cardigan.  As I get in my car to leave for church, I nearly back into a strange car that is blocking my driveway.  By this time, the verse I have been meditating on - "Trust in the Lord with all our heart" - was moving to the back of my brain. If I'm being honest, you need to know that I may have uttered some not so holy words.  My husband went around to neighbors houses until he found the owner of the car blocking our driveway.  Off to brunch 15 minutes behind schedule.  Anyone who knows me well knows how I hate being late!

As I was driving on the icy road to church I remember trying to surrender Advent Brunch to Him.  Isn't it just like humans to worry and attempt to control circumstances in life.  Usually when I realize that circumstances are out of my control, God does his best work.  Despite the snow and the bumpy start of my day, God showed up at Advent Brunch.  He met me where I was at - flustered and tired.  He blessed me through the help of the volunteers, through music, and through testimonies.  "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding."  Thank you Lord for putting this verse on my heart through the Holiday season and showing me why is it so important to trust you.

I hope you all were as blessed by Advent Brunch as I was!  I am so thankful for all those who were able to attend despite the weather!  I was blessed by the relaxing violin music as the brunch started, food, conversation, speakers, special music, and carols.  I was so blessed to have a team of people who coordinated the food, decorations, ticket sales, greeters, table hostesses, and all the other the endless small details!  We appreciated the men who served us at the brunch!

Thank you to the women who generously donated casseroles and cookies!  You may not know this, but some years we are able to save some of the money received at Advent Brunch.  When this happens we are able to use that money for scholarships, making retreat costs more reasonable, and offering free events like Soup and Serve.  The generous food donations makes that possible!  

Thanks for spending your Saturday morning with me. If you were like me, you were blessed by the music, you met new people, had a fully belly, heard the testimonies of some amazing women from our congregation, and belly laughed at their stories.  It is my hope and prayer that you will be able to fully embrace the meaning of Christ's birth this year.   May God bless you with His peace and love through each day this Christmas season!

Check out pictures from the event!

Working hard on the food and decorations!




 Kelly blesses us with music before the event:
Some of our awesome volunteers!
So glad people braved the snow and were able to come!
Kinsey and Linda welcome the women:
Anne and Ellie blessed us with music:
Praying for the high school senior gals:
Cheryl introduces our speakers:
This year we were able to hear Jean, Joanne, Kjierstyn, Steffanie, Debbie, and Cheryl share their testimonies about Christmas traditions.  This was such a special time. They blessed us with their stories and had us tearing up with laughter!
Advent Brunch would not be Advent Brunch without carols!  Thanks to Leah and Debbie for leading us!
What a great way to start the Advent season!

No comments:

Post a Comment