Mission Statement

Connecting women in all stages of life in authentic experiences of friendship, service to others and spiritual growth in Christ.

Sunday, January 2, 2011

Prayer and Fasting

A New Thing in this New Year
Isaiah 43:19 ESV
Behold, I am doing a new thing;
now it springs forth, do you not perceive it?
I will make a way in the wilderness
and rivers in the desert.
God desires to do a new thing in you!  Yes, right now, today, this year He is waiting for the invitation to transform YOU!  At the beginning of every year most of us tend to look for something new.  A new me, a new body, a new job, new life in a marriage, a new school; we are looking for something new. 
I am looking for something new too.  I am seeking out God in my own life and in Women Ministries at ACC.  From January 9-29 I am embarking on a new journey.  I will be partaking in a partial fast (giving up certain foods and drinks from my diet for the purpose of seeking God’s direction.) And, I am encouraging each one of you to join me.  No, I am not asking you to do exactly what I am doing by fasting in the same way. But, I am asking you to consider committing to set aside specific time each day from January 9-29 to seek God in your life and in the life of Women Ministries at ACC. 
Maybe during this time you commit to something new that you add into your life: like 10 minutes a day that is solely devoted to prayer: both the praise of who God is and the asking for meeting of certain needs – but also in listening; waiting to hear a response from God (a scripture passage to read, a word in your mind that speaks to your heart, the leading to ‘do’ something.)  Or, maybe God will lead you to also give something up for a time.  If you get stuck in figuring this out please let me know, I will be glad to help you discern what and where God is leading you.
Fasting is a practice that is woven into every profound story in the Bible.  And Fasting is simply a way of stating to God, “I want YOU more than _____”  (fill in the blank of what you are abstaining from.)  I can testify to the power of drawing near to God as he showed me how to Abide in him in 2010.  In my fast in January I am seeking God’s protection and direction for Women Ministries at ACC in the areas of the causes of Human Trafficking and Advocates for Victims of Abuse (coming in May 2011) and for His power in our Spring Retreat.  Personally, I am fasting for growth in my life in the fruit of the spirit of self-control.  Everything that I get frustrated about; money, weight, speaking out of my flesh, arguing with my husband, anger in my parenting, all come from a lack of this fruit in my life.  
It would bring me great joy to journey with you in prayer in January.  I will be journaling some encouragement through this time on our Women Ministries blog.  I hope that you will join me in seeking God first – at the beginning of 2011. 
If God leads you to join with me, in any way in January, please email me (Cheryl@MeakinsSpeak.com)  and let me know so that I can support you through the power of Prayer.  As God promises to reward those who give their tithe of money so do I believe that God will richly reward you for giving a tithe of your time or appetite at the beginning of 2011! 

No comments:

Post a Comment